School of Technology
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931
Last Update: 10/07/2011
Welcome to Jinshan Tang's Homepage
Dr. Jinshan Tang is currently an associate professor of the computer network and
administration program in the School of Technology at Michigan Technological University.
Dr. Tang’s research covers wide areas related to image processing and imaging technologies.
His specific research interests include biomedical image analysis and biomedical imaging,
computer aided cancer detection, biometrics, computer vision, and image understanding.
He has obtained more than one million dollars grants in the past years as a PI or Co-PI.
He published more than 80 refereed journal and conference papers. He served as a committee member
at different international conferences. He is a senior member of IEEE and a member of the Technical
Committee on Information Assurance and Intelligent Multimedia-Mobile Communications, IEEE SMC society.
His research has been supported by USDA, DoD, Air force, and DHS.
Major Education & Post-doctoral Training
- Post-doctoral training, National Cancer Institute,
National Institute of Health, MD, USA
- Post-doctoral training,Schepens Eye Research Institute,
Harvard Medical School, MA, USA
- Ph.D, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications,
Beijing, P.R. China
Post-doctor and Students Supervised
- Jun Xu, post-doctor (2007)
- Xiaoming Liu, post-doctor (2007~2008)
- Shengwen Guo, Post-doctor (2009~2010)
- Si Xiong, Ph.D student
- Jun Liu, Ph.D student
- Youbin Yi, Master student
- Xiaoqiang Wu, Master student
- Ashley White, Undergraduate Student(2009)
- Meg Honutse, Master student (2008)
- Huiyu Zhou,Huosheng Hu,Honghai Liu, Jinshan Tang, "Classification of upper limb motion trajectories using shape features",IEEE Transaction on System, Man, and Cybernetics, part C (Accepted).
- Jinshan Tang, Xiaoming Liu, Huaining Cheng, and K. M. Robinette, “Gender recognition using 3-D human body shapes”, IEEE Transaction on System, Man, and Cybernetics, part C, pp.898-908,Vol. 41, No. 6, 2011.
- Jinshan Tang, Raj Rangayyan,Yongyi Yang, I. El Naqa, Jun Xu, “Computer Aided Breast Cancer Detection and Diagnosis Using Mammography: Recent Advance,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedcine, pp. 236-251,Vol. 13, No. 2,2009
- Jinshan Tang, Xiaoming Liu, Qingling Sun “An direct image contrast enhancement algorithm based on wavelet transform for screening mammograms”, IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal Processing, pp. 74-80, vol. 3, no. 1, 2009.
- Jinshan Tang,“A Multi-direction GVF Snake for the Segmentation of Skin Cancer Images,” Pattern recognition, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1172-1179, 2009.
- Jun Xu, Yong-Yan Cao, Youxian Sun and Jinshan Tang, “Absolute Exponential Stability of Recurrent Neural Networks with Generalized Activation Function”, IEEE Transaction on Neural network, vol. 19, No. 6,pp. 1075-1089, 2008.
- Steve Millington, Bin Li, Jinshan Tang, S Trattnig, Jeff Crandall, Shepard Hurwitz,, Scott Acton, “Quantitative and topographical evaluation of ankle articular cartilage using high resolution MRI”, Journal of Orthopaedic Research,Vol. 25, No.2, pp.143-151, 2007.
- Jinshan Tang, Garry Choy, Peter Choyke, “Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI Predicts Early Response to Tumor Necrosis Factor alpha in a Colon Carcinoma Model”, Investigative Radiology,vol. 41,No. 9, 2006.
- Jinshan Tang, Steven Millington, and Scott Acton, Jeff Crandall and Shepard Hurwitz, “Surface Extraction and Thickness measurement of the articular Cartilage from MR images using Directional Gradient Vector Flow Snake” IEEE Transactions On Biomedical Engineering, vol. 52, No. 5, 2006.
- Adam P. Goobic, Jinshan Tang, and Scott T. Acton, "Image stabilization and registration for tracking cells in the microvasculature,"IEEE Transactions On Biomedical Engineering, vol. 52, No. 2, 2005.
- Jinshan Tang, and Scott T. Acton, “Vessel Boundary Tracking for Intravital Microscopy Via Multi-scale Gradient Vector Flow Snakes”, IEEE Transactions On Biomedical Engineering, vol. 51, No. 2, 2004.
- Jinshan Tang J. Kim and Eli Peli, “Image Enhancement in the JPEG Domain for People With Vision Impairment”, IEEE Transactions On Biomedical Engineering, vol. 51, No.11, pp. 2013- 2023, 2004.
- Jinshan Tang, Eli Peli, Scott Acton, “Image Enhancement Using A Contrast Measure in the Compressed Domain”, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 10, No 10, 2003.